Dear Aspirants, Our SSC Crackers team is providing a new series of English Language Questions for Upcoming Exam so the aspirants can practice it on a daily basis. These questions are framed by our skilled experts after understanding your needs thoroughly. Aspirants can practice these new series questions daily to familiarize with the exact exam pattern and make your preparation effective.
1) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute of the phrase.
A short statement expressing a general truth.
2) Rearrange the parts of the sentence in correct order.
It is a truth universally
P – acknowledged that a single
Q – man in possession of a good
R – fortune must be in want of a wife
3) Rearrange the parts of the sentence in correct order.
Your absence has
P-gone through me
Q-through a needle
4) In the following question, some part of the sentence may have errors. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option. If a sentence is free from error, select ‘No Error’.
This is the sportsperson (A)/whom I think has won (B)/the much coveted prize. (C)/ No error (D)
5) In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best express the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech.
Abhay said to Veena, ” Are you coming to the Reception?”
(a) Abhay told Veena if she was coming to the Reception.
(b) Abhay asked Veena if she will be coming to the Reception.
(c) Abhay asked Veena if she was coming to the Reception.
(d) Abhay asked Veena whether she was coming to the Reception.
Direction (6-10): In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and select the correct answer for the given blank out of the four alternatives.
In view of last year’s H1N1 attack and prevailing ________________ weather conditions, the health department officials _______________ that the virus will turn more active by January end. In-charge, Integrated Disease ________________ Programme (IDSP), Dr Shah, said, “Virus is still active, but not in a major way. In coming months, it is likely to become more active. Last year too, virus had claimed lives in January and February. Therefore, we are _____________ as coming months might _________________ a challenge.
(c) were expecting
(d) are expecting
(b) open to
(c) on toes
(d) put up
1) Answer: A
Infer means deduce or conclude (something) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.
Pander means gratify or indulge (an immoral or distasteful desire or taste or a person with such a desire or taste).
2) Answer: B
3) Answer: A
4) Answer: B
Replace “whom” with “who” as nominative case should be used thus it should be “who”.
5) Answer: C
6) Answer: A
7) Answer: D
8) Answer: C
9) Answer: A
10) Answer: B