Dear Aspirants, Our SSC Crackers team is providing a new series of English Language Questions for Upcoming Exam so the aspirants can practice it on a daily basis. These questions are framed by our skilled experts after understanding your needs thoroughly. Aspirants can practice these new series questions daily to familiarize with the exact exam pattern and make your preparation effective.
1) Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.
When I last saw Ravi, he (had been running) to catch his bus.
(b) was running
(c) had run
(d) no improvement
2) In the following question, some part of the sentence may have errors. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option. If a sentence is free from error, select ‘No Error’.
If you are in the wrong gears (A)/the car won’t be (B)/able to climb the hill. (C)/No error(D)
3) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
The ball is in your court
(a) It is up to you to make the next move
(b) You have got a fantastic opportunity
(c) You will be blamed for crimes that you have not committed
(d) You have been put into a dilemma.
4) Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.
I would love (to availing) a short holiday, and go for an overnight trek.
(a) to avail myself of
(b) to avail of
(c) to avail myself
(d) no improvement
5) In the following question, a sentence has been given in Active/Passive voice. Out of four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active voice.
Mariam was writing a note to her boss.
(a) A note was written to her boss by Mariam.
(b) A note was wrote by Mariam to her boss.
(c) A note was being written by Mariam to her boss.
(d) A note was written by Mariam to her boss.
6) Select the synonym of
7) Select the antonym of
8) Select the word with the correct spelling.
9) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute of the phrase.
To harass someone persistently to do something.
10) In the following question, the sentence given with blank to be filled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.
The baby looked__________ the toffee with greedy eyes.
1) Answer: B
As there is no point of time or duration given, thus past perfect continuous should not be used.
2) Answer: A
Remove ‘the’ before wrong gears because it shows that the person is in gears.
3) Answer: A
The ball is in your court means one needs to take some action to keep something going.
4) Answer: C
There should be infinitive after love, thus to avail should be used and avail is a transitive verb which should have an object and as the object is not given thus reflexive pronoun ‘myself’ should be used.
5) Answer: C
6) Answer: C
Incinerate means destroy (something, especially waste material) by burning and ignite means catch fire or cause to catch fire.
7) Answer: C
Ogle means stare at in a lecherous manner and ignore means refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.
8) Answer: A
Snatched means quickly seize (something) in a rude or eager way.
9) Answer: D
Iconoclast means a person who attacks or criticizes cherished beliefs or institutions.
Dote means be extremely and uncritically fond of.
Neurotic means having, caused by, or relating to neurosis.
10) Answer: D
Look takes “at” preposition with it.