Dear Aspirants, Our SSC Crackers team is providing a new series of English Language Questions for Upcoming Exam so the aspirants can practice it on a daily basis. These questions are framed by our skilled experts after understanding your needs thoroughly. Aspirants can practice these new series questions daily to familiarize with the exact exam pattern and make your preparation effective.
1) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
(a) In an insincere way
(b) To praise wholeheartedly
(c) A sensational news
(d) To say something hurtful
2) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute of the phrase
A factory, where workers are employed at very low wages for long hours and under poor conditions.
3) In the following question, the sentence given with blank to be filled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.
Mangoes do not ___________ all at the same time. Hence, they are not plucked on the same day.
4) In the following question, a sentence has been given in Active/Passive voice. Out of four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active voice.
I saw the master conducting the orchestra.
(a) I saw that the orchestra was being conducted by the master.
(b) I saw the orchestra being conducted by the master.
(c) The master was seen conducting the orchestra by me.
(d) The master was conducting the orchestra and I saw that.
5) Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.
Due to heavy monsoon showers, the water in the dam (rose another foot).
(a) raised another foot
(b) raised by a feet.
(c) had risen a foot
(d) no improvement
Direction: (6-10) In the following passage some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and select the correct answer for the given blank out of the four alternatives.
_______________ to a simple yoga technique in the morning, such as an energising sun-salutation or cat-cow pose, can wake up the whole mind-body element. It thus builds focus for the rest of the day and leaves you feeling _________________ and ready. It also _____________ awareness while doing so. This is a ______________ that works backwards. You tend to sleep earlier as you are mindful of waking up early for the yoga class, so bedtime gets a higher priority in your life. Early morning yoga calms you down for the rest of the day by setting a steady tone. The breathing patterns are carried into the day leaving you ______________ and relaxed.
(c) Going after
(c) speeds up
(c) feeling at ease
1) Answer: A
Tongue-in-cheek means Jocular or humorous, though seeming or appearing to be serious.
2) Answer: D
Sweatshop means a factory or workshop, especially in the clothing industry, where manual workers are employed at very low wages for long hours and under poor conditions.
3) Answer: B
Ripen means (of fruit or crops) completely developed and ready to be collected or eaten.
4) Answer: B
5) Answer: D
6) Answer: B
7) Answer: A
8) Answer: D
9) Answer: D
10) Answer: C