Dear Aspirants, Our SSC Crackers team is providing a new series of English Language Questions for Upcoming Exam so the aspirants can practice it on a daily basis. These questions are framed by our skilled experts after understanding your needs thoroughly. Aspirants can practice these new series questions daily to familiarize with the exact exam pattern and make your preparation effective.
1) In the following question, one part of the sentence may have an error. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and click the button corresponding to it. If the sentence is free from error, click the “No error” option.
We’re in a position to help people A)/who can’t help them against bad B)/guys who want to hurt them C)/NO ERROR D)
2) The sentence given with blanks are to be filled with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. For each question, choose the correct alternative and click the button corresponding to it.
She felt an _____________ desire to tell someone about what had happened.
3) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the word similar in meaning to the word given.
4) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the word opposite in meaning to the word given.
5) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/Phrase.
A wild goose chase
a) A foolish search for something
b) To try hard for something
c) Inform something bad
d) To show angry feeling.
6) Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.
What is actually paid (can depend on) the bonus payments made at the end of the policy.
a) Will depend on
b) Could depend on
c) Depends on
d) No improvement
7) In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute of the phrase.
The one who does a thing for pleasure and not as a profession
8) Four words are given, out of which only one word is spelt correctly. Choose the correctly spelt word and click the button corresponding to it.
9) The question below consists of a set of labelled sentences. Out of the four options given, select the most logical order of the sentences to form a coherent paragraph.
(X) Reverence for live theatre is
(Y) The reason that there’s a
(Z) You’re not able to manufacture it
10) In the following question, a sentence has been given in Active/Passive voice. Out of four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active voice.
The maid of the house was furnishing the mansion.
a) The mansion is being furnished by the maid of the house.
b) The mansion was being furnished by the maid of the house.
c) The mansion is furnished by the maid of the house.
d) The mansion has been furnished by the maid of the house.
1) Answer: B
The correct sentence is “We’re in a position to help people who can’t help themselves against bad guys who want to hurt them”. In B replace them with themselves, themselves is a plural pronoun and is used reflexively. It is used in contexts where the subject of a sentence is also its object.
2) Answer: D
According to the sentence overwhelming will be used. If something is overwhelming, it affects you very strongly, and you do not know how to deal with it. Something overwhelming is very intense and hard to deal with. This makes option (d) the right answer.
3) Answer: C
Explanation: allay means diminish or put at rest which is similar in meaning to mollify. This makes option (c) the right answer.
4) Answer: D
The verb impute can be used to blame someone for doing something bad, give credit for good work, or just tell it like it is. When you impute something, you name the cause of something that has happened. Exonerate is opposite in meaning to impute. This makes option (d) correct.
5) Answer: A
If you describe a search for something as a wild goose chase, you mean that it was a waste of time and you found nothing, usually because the information you were given was wrong. Thus, option (a) is the right answer.
6) Answer: A
Replace can with will because we also use will to talk about what we think will happen in the future while can is one of the most commonly used modal verbs in English. It can be used to express ability or opportunity, to request or offer permission, and to show possibility or impossibility
7) Answer: A
Recluse ———-One who lives in solitude
Bohemian———– An unconventional style of living
Introvert————One who does not express himself freely
8) Answer: B
Peculiar is an adjective which means ‘different to what is normal or expected. It also had the meaning of something unlike others, special, or remarkable’.
9) Answer: C
The correct order is: YXZ. The reason that there’s a reverence for live theatre is you’re not able to manufacture or multiply it. Statement Y forms the perfect starting sentence, providing us with the ideal introduction as it mentions that there is reason for deep respect for live theatre (X), now in last Z will come which talks about the reason in detail
10) Answer: B
The given sentence is in active voice and it is in past continuous tense. We need to change it into passive voice.
The General Rule:
Subject +was/were+ v1+ing + object ———-> Object + was/were+being+V3+ by Subject